- PhD (Public Health)
- Kerry Vermaak has a background in research psychology and public health. She has previously worked as a researcher in the academic, private and NGO sectors.
- Social determinants of health, Environment and health, Modifiable risk factors for non-communicable diseases (including life style risk factors), health seeking behaviour,
- Population and Health and Research Methods I modules in the Population Studies and Development Studies Masters Programmes. She supervises masters and PhD students.
- Horwood,C., Vermaak,K., Butler,L., Haskins,L., Phakathi,S.and Rollins, N. (2012). Elimination of paediatric HIV in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa: large-scale assessment of interventions for the prevention of mother-to-child transmission. Bulletin of the World Health Organisation, 90 (3): 168 – 175.
- Horwood,C.,Haskins, L., Vermaak, K.,Phakathi, S., Subbaye, R. and T. Doherty (2010). Prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV (PMTCT)
programme in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa: an evaluation of
PMTCT implementation and integration into routine maternal,
child and women’s health services. Tropical Medicine and International Health, 15(9), 992-999.
- Horwood, C., Butler, Lisa M.,Vermaak, K., Rollins, N. Haskins,L., Nkosi, L., Neilands, T.B. andQazi, S. (2010). Disease profile of children under 5 years attending primary health care clinics in a high HIV prevalence setting in
South Africa. Tropical Medicine andInternational Health, 16(1), 42-52.
- Vermaak, K; Reid, S; Horwood, C. (2009). Factors Impacting on Organisational Learning in Three Rural Health Districts. South African Journal of Family Practice 51(2):138-142.
- Horwood, C; Vermaak, K; Rollins, N; Haskins, L; Nkosi, P; Qazi, S. (2009). An evaluation of the quality of IMCI assessments among IMCI trained health workers in South Africa. PLoS ONE 4(6): e5937.
- C Horwood, K Vermaak, N Rollins, L Haskins, PNkosi, S Qazi. (2009). Paediatric HIV management at primary care level: An evaluation of the Integrated Management of Childhood Illness (IMCI) guidelines for HIV. BMC Pediatrics 2009, 9:59. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2431/9/59
- C Horwood, A Voce, K Vermaak, N Rollins, S Qazi. (2009)Experiences of IMCI training and implementation in South Africa; a qualitative evaluation of the IMCI case management training course. BMC Paediatrics, 9:62. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2431/9/62
- Pettifor, AE; Kleinschmidt, I; Levin, J; Rees, HV; MacPhail,C; Madikizela-Hlongwa, L; Vermaak, K; Napier, G; Stevens, W; Padian, NS. (2005). A community-based study to examine the effect of a youth HIV prevention intervention on young people aged 15-24 in South Africa: results of the baseline survey. Tropical Medicine & International Health 10 (10), 971–980.
- Pettifor, AE; Rees, HV; Kleinschmidt, I; Steffenson, AE; MacPhail, C; Hlongwa-Madikizela, L; Vermaak, K & Padian NS. (2005). Young people’s sexual health in South Africa: HIV prevalence and sexual behaviors from a nationally representative household survey. AIDS. Sep 23; 19(14):1525-34.