- PhD (UKZN), MSc (UZ), BScHons (UZ).
- Dr Chipungu has served in different institutions as a practitioner, researcher and lecturer where he held different portfolios. This has equipped him with town planning experience, research in various capacities and exposure to the academic environment as a lecturer and leader in various portfolios.
Areas of Research
- Urban Housing and policy
- Urban low-income housing
- Urban planning and development
- Land management and development
- Housing Theory and Practice
- Housing Theory and Policy
- Layout and Subdivision
- Golden Key Society – Honorary Member awarded in recognition of teaching excellence (2014).
- Research Grant, UKZN, 2012.
- Best paper award, Malaysia, 2011
- Graduate Scholarship Award: University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa (2007).
- Research Fellow: Nordic Africa Institute, Sweden (2005).
- Visiting Fellow: Cardiff University, UK (1998).
- Corporate member of the South African Planning Institute.
- Member of the Zimbabwe Institute of Regional and Urban Planners.
- Academic Member of Architecture & Engineering Research Unit, Greece.
- Land – a missing link in self-help housing initiatives: A comparative study of Harare and Durban.
- Currently supervising Masters students (in Town Planning and Housing).
- Chipungu, L.; Magidimisha, H; Hardman, M and Beesley, L. (2015). The Importance of Soil Quality in the Safe Practice of Urban Agriculture: An Exploration of the Practice in Harare, Nairobi and Johannesburg in Brearley, F. and A. Thomas, A. (Ed). Land-use Change Impacts on Soil Processes Tropical and Savannah Ecosystems University of Oxford – UK. ISBN -13: 978 1 78064 210 9
- Chipungu, L & Magimisha, H.H. (2013). Unmasking the Invisible Class in Urban Development. LAP Lambert Academic Publishing. Germany. ISBN 13: 9783659425820
- Chipungu, L. (2012). The Economic Structural Adjustment Programme – the Precursor to the Invasion of Land for Urban Housing in Zimbabwe in Adebayo, A.A. (Ed) Architecture and the City: Mega Events, Spatial Interventions and Housing Policies. Fishwicks Printing, Durban, South Africa. pp. 154-169. ISBN: 978-0-620-54078-0.
- Miloševic, P. & Chipungu, L. (2008). “Zimbabwe”, Chapter in International Manual of Planning Practice (IMPP; Ed. Judith Ryser and Teresa Franchini), 5th new extended edition; ISOCARP (International Society of City and Regional Planners, www.isocarp.org); Book p. 56, CD pp. 174-187; Madrid, Spain, British Library, ISBN:978-90-75524-56-7, D.L.:M-49585-2008.
- Masiiwa, M. & Chipungu, L. (2004). Land Reform Programme in Zimbabwe: Disparity between Policy Design and Implementation in Masiiwa M. (Ed.) Post-Independence Land Reform in Zimbabwe: Controversies and Impact on the Economy. Friedrich Ebert Stiftung and Institute of Development Studies, Harare. ISBN No. 0-7974-2786-4