- Professor Oliver Mtapuri facilitates Poverty and Inequality, Development Management and Political Economy of the Welfare State in the School. He has a PhD in Development studies (UKZN) and an MBA degree from the University of Zimbabwe. He is an Associate of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators of Zimbabwe. Before joining the academe, Oliver worked for 12 years in the Government of Zimbabwe as a Labour Economist/Researcher in the Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare. He has supervised more than 62 Masters students to completion. He is currently supervising six PhD and eight Masters students. Oliver received a Teaching Advancement at University (TAU) Fellowship in the 2015/2016 TAU programme. He has been a member of the Golden Keys International since 2009
- Development Management in the Development Studies Masters Prorgramme,
- Poverty and Inequality
- Political Economy of the Welfare State
- Oliver’s areas of research interest include poverty, redistribution and inequality, community-based tourism, public employment programmes, research methodologies, financial management, climate change and project management. Oliver was the Editor in Chief (Founding) of the Journal of Business and Public Dynamics for Development.
- Mtapuri O, Thabethe N & Roesing K. (Eds) (2014). Community Voices on Climate Change. Durban: eThekwini Municipality. ISBN: 978-0-620-60205-1
- Giampiccoli A & Mtapuri, O. (2017). Beyond community-based tourism: Towards a new tourism classification system. Gazeta de Antropologia. Vol. 33 (1); 15 – 32 (Spanish and English).
- Thabethe, N., Mbatha, Z. & Mtapuri, O. (2016). School-Based Programmes as a New Form of the Family for Orphans and Vulnerable Children in the Province of Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa, Journal of Comparative Family Studies, Vol XLV1I (3): 357-368.
- Aphane, M., Mtapuri, O., Mollel, N., & Burman, C. (2016). Academic Interaction with social partners in the case from the University of Limpopo, Journal of Education, Vol. 66: 140 -184.
- Mtapuri, O & Moyo, T. (2016). Agro-processing and Community Based Tourism: Prospects and opportunities for South African women entrepreneurs, the youth and SMMEs, African Journal of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure. Vol. 5 (4); 1 -13.
- Balkaran, R., Giampiccoli, A & Mtapuri, O. (2016). Globalisation and convergence of food tastes in the case of the South African pizza, African Journal of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure. Vol. 5 (4); 1 -14.
- Hatlane MD., Mtapuri, O & Thabethe N., (2015). Community Home-Based Care as a Job Creation Strategy in the Informal Economy: The Case of the Greater Giyani Municipality, South Africa. Journal of Public Administration, Vol. 50 (2): 318-333.
- Burman, C., Aphane, M., Mamabolo, R., Mtapuri., O., & Delobelle, P. (2015). Distributed-efficacy and social practice in the context of ‘ending AIDS’. The Journal for Transdisciplinary Research in Southern Africa, 11(1) July 2015, pp. 39-63. http://dspace.nwu.ac.za/bitstream/handle/10394/14274/03%20Burman%20et%20al%20Aids.pdf?sequence=1
- Giampiccoli A & Mtapuri O (2015). Between Theory and Practice: A Conceptualization of Community Based Tourism and Community Participation. Loyola Journal of Social Sciences. Vol. XXIX (1), Jan – Jun 2015: 27-52.
- Giampiccoli A & Mtapuri O (2015). Tourism development in Qatar: towards a diversification strategy beyond the conventional 3 Ss. African Journal of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure Vol. 4(1).
- Burman CJ, Aphane M, Mtapuri O & Delobelle P. (2015). Expanding the prevention armamentarium portfolio: A framework for promoting HIVConversant Communities within a complex, adaptive epidemiological landscape. Journal of Social Aspects of HIV/AIDS, Vol. 12 (1): 18 -29. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/17290376.2015.1034292
- Giampiccoli A & Mtapuri O (2014). Moving Beyond the 3S’s—Sun, Sea, and Sand: An Interpretation of the Tourism Development Strategy Framework for Abu Dhabi, U.A.E. The Arab World Geographer / Le Géographe du monde arabe Vol 17(4) 4: 339-356.
- Thobela NQ & Mtapuri O (2014). Teachers’ perceptions of the Integrated Quality Management System: Lessons from Mpumalanga, South Africa. South African Journal of Education, Vol. 34(1). Pp.1-14. Available at http://www.sajournalofeducation.co.za/index.php/saje/issue/view/41
- Mtapuri O & Giampiccoli A. (2014). Towards a comprehensive model of community-based tourism development. South African Geographical Journal. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/03736245.2014.977813#.VG2xtDSUdAo DOI:10.1080/03736245.2014.977813
- Modisha NJ & Mtapuri O, (2013), A crisis of expectation versus legislative mandate: The Case of Molemole and Blouberg Municipalities in the Limpopo Province. Journal of Public Administration. Vol 48(2): 267-281. http://reference.sabinet.co.za/webx/access/electronic_journals/jpad/jpad_v48_n2_a6.pdf
- Mtapuri, O & Giampiccoli A, (2013): Interrogating the role of the state and non-state actors in community-based tourism ventures: toward a model for spreading the benefits to the wider community, South African Geographical Journal, Vol 95 (1), pp. 1-15. ISSN: 0373-6245 DOI: 10.1080/03736245.2013.805078. Available at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03736245.2013.805078
- Mtapuri O & Mazengwa PJ, (2013), Of Spirituality and Poverty: A Zimbabwean Perspective, Indo-Pacific Journal of Phenomenology. Vol 13(1).
- Malatji I & Mtapuri., O. (2012) Can Community-Based tourism enterprises alleviate poverty? toward a new organization – Tourism Review International, Vol. 16(1), pp 1 – 14. https://www.cognizantcommunication.com/component/content/article/553
- Mtapuri, O, (2012) An asset-by-asset poverty index – Journal of Income Distribution, Vol. 20 (3-4), Sept-December 2011. https://pi.library.yorku.ca/ojs/index.php/jid/article/view/30220
- Giampiccoli, A & O. Mtapuri (2012), Community-based tourism: an exploration of the concept(s) from a political perspective – Tourism Review International. Vol. 16 (1). Pp 29 – 43. https://www.cognizantcommunication.com/component/content/article/553
- Mtapuri O, (2012), A Review of Social Protection Programmes: Lessons from Zimbabwe. The Social Work Practitioner-Researcher. Vol 24(3): 365 – 383. (November 2012).
- Sebashe SS, & O. Mtapuri (2011), Implementation of a Performance Management System: a case study of Ba-Phalaborwa Municipality in Limpopo, Journal of Public Administration, Vol, 46 (4), pp. 1323 -1337. (December 2011). http://reference.sabinet.co.za/webx/access/electronic_journals/jpad/jpad_v46_n4_a8.pdf
- Mtapuri, O, (2011) Revisiting the Income Threshold – Loyola Journal of Social Sciences, Vol. XXV, No.2, pp. 163-176. https://www.academia.edu/5407136/Revisiting_the_income_threshold_for_measuring_poverty
- Mtapuri, O. (2009) Developing an Asset Threshold Using the Consensual Approach: Results from Mashonaland West, Zimbabwe, Journal of International Development, Vol. 21, pp. 1– 13. https://www.academia.edu/5407154/…
- Mtapuri, O. (2008), “Exploring local conceptions of poverty, wealth and well – being: Field evidence from Mashonaland West Province of Zimbabwe”, Development Africa, Codesria, Vol. XXXIII, No. 3, pp. 35-44. http://www.ajol.info/index.php/ad/article/viewFile/57300/45685
- Mtapuri, O. (2005), “The Missing Link : Asset-Based Measures of Poverty Towards Asset-Income Threshold and Networth Threshold”. Loyola Journal of Social Sciences. Issue Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 245-259. http://www.loyolajournal.info/Vol.%20XIX,%20No.%202,%202005.pdf
- Mtapuri, O. (2017). Poverty and fundamentalism in Africa, In Artwell Nhemachena and Munyaradzi Mawere (Eds), Africa at the Crossroads: Theorising Fundamentalism in the 21 st Century. Langaa Research and Publishing CIG, Bameda pp. 107-129.
- Mtapuri, O. (2017). Re-thinking Mining in Embattled Africa: A Calculative Sociological Logic, In Artwell Nhemachena and Tapiwa V. Warikandwa (Eds), Mining Africa: Law, Environment, Society and Politics in Historical and Multidisciplinary Perspective. Langaa Research and Publishing CIG, Bameda pp. 215-236.
- Mtapuri, O. (2012). Re-Visiting Ethnographic and Orthodox Research Methodologies: Field Research Experiences from an African Perspective, Theoretical and Methodological Approaches to Social Sciences and Knowledge Management, Asuncio´n Lo´pez-Varela (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-51-0687-6, InTech, Available from: http://www.intechopen.com/books/theoretical-and-methodological-approaches-to-social-sciences-and-knowledge-management/re-visiting-ethnographic-and-orthodox-research-methodologies-field-research-experiences-from-an-afri
- Warikandwa, T.V., Nhemachena, A. & Mtapuri, O. (2017). Transnational Land Grabs and Restitution in an Age of the (De) Militarised New Scramble for Africa.: A Pan African Socio-Legal Perspective. Langaa Research and Publishing CIG, Bameda. Pp. 553.ISBN: 978-9956-762-59-0.
- Mtapuri O, Thabethe N & Roesing K. (Eds) (2014). Community Voices on Climate Change. Durban: eThekwini Municipality. ISBN: 978-0-620-60205-1.
- Mtapuri, O, Nonhlanhla Nkosi & Selaelo Sebetlene (2007) Pathways to Entrepreneurship NCV level 2, FET Colleges, Heinemann Publishers, Johannesburg. ISBN 978-0-7962-1954-1
- Mtapuri, O, Nkosi Nonhlanhla & Rob Smorfitt (2008) Pathways to Project Management NCV Level 3” Heinemann Publishers, Johannesburg. ISBN 978-0-7962-1938-1
- Smorfitt, Rob & Mtapuri, O, (2008), Pathways to Project Management NCV Level 4, Heinemann Publishers, Johannesburg. ISBN 978-0-7962-2621-1
- Mtapuri, O (2008), Wither Dialogue, Wither Zimbabwe, South African Labour Bulletin. Vol. 32, No. 1 March/April 2008. pp. 50 – 61.
- Mtapuri, O, (2001) Working Conditions, Productivity: Training of private trainers. For International Labour Organisation (ILO) – Improve Your Business and Business Environment and Managing People, Presented at seminar on 5 – 16 February, 2001, Harare, Zimbabwe.
- Mtapuri, O (2010), (Ed) Selected Papers: Management for Development, Turfloop Graduate School of Leadership, University of Limpopo Press, Sovenga.