External Research Profiles
- Isaac teaches Political Economy, Economic Development and Development Management in the department. He previously worked as a researcher at the Human Science Research Council’s Democracy, Governance and Service Delivery Unit (DGSD), and the South African Local Government Association (SALGA).
- Isaac holds a PhD in Development Studies (UKZN).
- Economics of Development
- Political Economy
- Development Management
- Isaac’s areas of research include political economy, the relationship between the state, institutions and development, economic development (with a particular focus on the role of the state in the economy), industrial development, democratic developmental states, unemployment, poverty, BRICS and global governance. The interdisciplinary background is informed by his educational training in philosophy, politics and economics (PPE).
- Research Agenda 2020 – 2025: Industrial development, development finance, democratic developmental states, territorial and regional development.
- Khambule, I., Nomdo, A., Siswana, B and Fokou, G. (2019). Coexistence as a Strategy for Opposition Parties in Challenging the African National Congress’ One-Party Dominance. Politikon, 46 (4): 427-442, DOI: 10.1080/02589346.2019.1682784
- Khambule, I (2019). A Question of Capacity and Funding: The Role of Local Economic Development Agencies in South Africa’s Development Landscape. Urban Forum, DOI: 10.1007/s12132-019-09380-6
- Khambule, I., Nomdo, A and Siswana, B. (2019). Burning Capabilities: The Social Cost of Violent and Destructive Service Delivery Protests in South Africa. Ubuntu: Journal of Conflict Transformation, 8 (1): 51-70.
- Khambule, I., Biyela, A and Mthuli, S. (2019). BRICS, Social Dialogue and Coexistence: Towards a Multilateral Social Dialogue? African Renaissance, 17 (2) 121-142
- Khambule, I and Gerwel-Proches (2019). Exploring the Role of Social Dialogue in Local Economic Development: A Case Study of a South African Local Economic Development Agency. Progress in Development Studies, 19 (1): 36-54.
- Khambule, I (2018). The Role of Local Economic Development Agencies in South Africa’s Developmental State Ambitions. Local Economy, 33 (3): 287–306.
- Khambule, I and Mtapuri, O (2018). Interrogating the Institutional Capacity of Local Government to Support Local Economic Development Agencies in KwaZulu-Natal Province of South Africa. African Journal of Public Affairs, 10 (1): 25-43.
- Khambule, I (2018). Imagining an Institutionalised Social Dialogue in the South African Local Government-led Development Landscape. Forum for Development Studies, 45 (1): 97-117.
- Khambule, I and Mtapuri, O (2018). Assessing the Role of Local Economic Development Agencies in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Local Economy, 33(4): 438-455.
- Khambule, I. (2018). Enhancing Business Development through Local Economic Development Agencies in KwaZulu-Natal. Skills@Work: Theory and Practice Journal, 9: 34-44
- Khambule, I., Nomdo, and Siswana, B (2018). The Social Cost of Violent and Destructive Service-Delivery Protests in South Africa. HSRC Review, 16 (4): 26-27
- Khambule, I (2014). Institutionalising Social Dialogue. Skills@Work: Theory and Practice Journal, 7: 41-52.
- Khambule, I (2018). Consolidating South Africa’s Emerging Democratic Developmental State from Below through the Developmental Local Government. CROP Poverty Briefs.
- Khambule, I and Siswana, B (2017). How Inequalities Undermine Social Cohesion: A case Study of South Africa. G20 Insights. (Policy Brief).
- Josie, J., Chetty, K., Khambule, I., Siswana, B., Mashatola, E., Shenglin, B., Zheren, W., Luo, , Brient, E., Luo, M., Li, W., Lu, W., Chen, H and Pay, L. (2019). Banking on Africa: Fintech Opportunities for Southern and Eastern African Countries. Cape Town: Human Sciences Research Council.
- Bohler, N., Kanyane, M, H., Govender, K., Ngungu, M, N., Khambule, I, B., Bolton, H., Wentzel, M, E., Viljoen, J., Mdlongwa, E, T and Bees, E. (2019). Damage to Property, Intimidation, Threats, Harm and Killings of Councillors, Municipal Officials, Senior Municipal Managers and Members of the Ward Committees. A Project Report for the South African Local Government Association. Pretoria: HSRC.
- Kanyane, M, H., Govender, K., Bohler, N., Krishnan, E, M., Khambule, I, B., Maluleke, G, M., B., Bolton, H., Wentzel, M, E., Viljoen, J., Pienaar, G, D., Hagg, G and Mdlongwa, E, T. (2019). Development of a Consequences and Accountability Framework for Municipalities in South Africa. A Project Report for the South African Local Government Association. Pretoria: HSRC.
- Cosser, M, C., Govender, K., Davids, Y, D., Bohler, N., Shanker, T, R., Nomdo, A, C., Chetty, K., Khambule, I, B., Wentzel, M, E., Viljoen, J., Pienaar, G, D., Mdlongwa, E, T and Mchunu, N, O. (2019). Construction Sector Transparency Initiative (CoST) project. A Report for Cost. Pretoria: HSRC.
- Steyn Kotze, J., Bohler-Muller, N., Kanyane, B., Hagg, G., Gordon, S., Ngungu, M., Zikhali, T., Majozi, N., Mdlongwa, T., Pophiwa, N., Khambule and Chetty, K. (2017). State of Research on Youth in Gauteng. A Report for the Office of the Premier, Gauteng Provincial. Pretoria: HSRC.
- Houston, G., Wentzel, M., Stanfield, J., Masiya, T and Khambule, I. (2017). Phase 1 of the Chinese living in Cape Town project: final report: A study commissioned by CASS. Cape Town: HSRC.
- Khambule, I., Chetty, K and Josie, J. (2016). BRICS Bibliography: A Compendium of BRICS Bibliography. Report prepared for the National Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences. Cape Town: HSRC.