- Isaac teaches Political Economy, Economic Development and Development Management in the department. He previously worked as a researcher at the Human Science Research Council’s Democracy, Governance and Service Delivery Unit (DGSD), and the South African Local Government Association (SALGA).
- Isaac holds a PhD in Development Studies (UKZN).
- Economics of Development
- Political Economy
- Development Management
- Isaac’s areas of research include political economy, the relationship between the state, institutions and development, economic development (with a particular focus on the role of the state in the economy), industrial development, democratic developmental states, unemployment, poverty, BRICS and global governance. The interdisciplinary background is informed by his educational training in philosophy, politics and economics (PPE).
- Research Agenda 2020 – 2025: Industrial development, development finance, democratic developmental states, territorial and regional development.
- Khambule, I, B. (2021). COVID-19 and the Counter-cyclical Role of the State in South Africa. Progress in Development Studies, 21(4): 380-396.
- Simon, B and Khambule, I. (2021). Modelling the Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on South African Livelihoods. International Journal of Sociology and Social Policy,https://doi.org/10.1108/IJSSP-04-2021-0099
- Khambule, I. (2021). Capturing South Africa’s Developmental State: State-Society Relations and Responses to State Capture. Public Administration and Development, https://doi.org/10.1002/pad.1912
- Khambule, I. (2021). Decentralisation or Deconcentration? The Case of Regional and Local Economic Development in South Africa. Local Economy, http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/02690942211018427
- Khambule, I. (2021). The District Development Model: Towards a Capable Local Developmental State in South Africa. Journal of Public Administration, 56(3): 507-523.
- Khambule, I. (2021). Book Review: The BRICS Order: Assertive or Complementing the West? Journal of BRICS Studies, 1(1)
- Khambule, I.B. (2020). Consolidating South Africa’s Emerging Democratic Developmental State from Below. Strategic Review for Southern Africa, 42(2): https://doi.org/10.35293/srsa.v42i2.78
- Khambule, I. (2020). A Question of Capacity and Funding: The Role of Local Economic Development Agencies in South Africa’s Development Landscape. Urban Forum, 31(1): 95-113.
- Khambule, I. (2020). The Effects of COVID-19 on the South African Informal Economy: Limits and Pitfalls of Government’s Response. Loyola Journal of Social Sciences, 34(1): 91-109.
- Khambule, I., Nomdo, A., Siswana, B and Fokou, G. (2019). Coexistence as a Strategy for Opposition Parties in Challenging the African National Congress’ One-Party Dominance. Politikon, 46 (4): 427-442, DOI: 10.1080/02589346.2019.1682784
- Khambule, I., Nomdo, A and Siswana, B. (2019). Burning Capabilities: The Social Cost of Violent and Destructive Service Delivery Protests in South Africa. Ubuntu: Journal of Conflict Transformation, 8 (1): 51-70.
- Khambule, I., Biyela, A and Mthuli, S. (2019). BRICS, Social Dialogue and Coexistence: Towards a Multilateral Social Dialogue? African Renaissance, 17 (2) 121-142
- Khambule, I and Gerwel-Proches (2019). Exploring the Role of Social Dialogue in Local Economic Development: A Case Study of a South African Local Economic Development Agency. Progress in Development Studies, 19 (1): 36-54.
- Khambule, I (2018). The Role of Local Economic Development Agencies in South Africa’s Developmental State Ambitions. Local Economy, 33 (3): 287–306.
- Khambule, I and Mtapuri, O (2018). Interrogating the Institutional Capacity of Local Government to Support Local Economic Development Agencies in KwaZulu-Natal Province of South Africa. African Journal of Public Affairs, 10 (1): 25-43.
- Khambule, I (2018). Imagining an Institutionalised Social Dialogue in the South African Local Government-led Development Landscape. Forum for Development Studies, 45 (1): 97-117.
- Khambule, I and Mtapuri, O (2018). Assessing the Role of Local Economic Development Agencies in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Local Economy, 33(4): 438-455.
- Khambule, I. (2018). Enhancing Business Development through Local Economic Development Agencies in KwaZulu-Natal. Skills@Work: Theory and Practice Journal, 9: 34-44
- Khambule, I., Nomdo, and Siswana, B (2018). The Social Cost of Violent and Destructive Service-Delivery Protests in South Africa. HSRC Review, 16 (4): 26-27
- Khambule, I (2014). Institutionalising Social Dialogue. Skills@Work: Theory and Practice Journal, 7: 41-52.
Books & Books Edited
Projects & Reports