Dr Myriam Velia
|Position||Contract Research Staff|
|Phone||031 260 2101|
|Office Address||Room F197 Memorial Tower Building|
- She has been involved with a number of projects while at the School. She was a full-time researcher at the School between 2001 and early 2008 when she joined Trade in Industry Policy Strategies (TIPS), a section 21 not-for-profit agency, as Head of Research. Myriam came back to the School in April 2010 on a part-time basis. Since her return, she worked on the evaluation of the Local Competitiveness Fund Implementation of Gijima KZN, one of a number of innovative funding mechanisms used for Local Economic Development in the province. She also worked with others on Growth Scenarios for agro-processing for the Department of Economic Development. She is currently one of the lead researchers on the study of medium and large manufacturing firms in eThekwini.
- Velia, M., Robbins, G. and M.Tsedu. (2013). Transnational corporations and national systems of innovation: the case of South Africa. In: Cassiolato, Jose E. Zucoloto, Graziela, Abrol, Dinesh and Liu, Xielin (eds), Transnational corporations and local innovation: BRICS national systems of innovation, Taylor and Francis.
- Robbins, G. and Velia, M. (2012) From time definite to time critical?: challenges facing airfreight and port growth in Durban. In: Hall, P. and Hesse, M. (eds) Cities, Regions and Flows, London: Routledge.
- Grynberg, R. and Velia, M. (2012) South Africa’s electricity subsidies and import dependence in Botswana. In: Hartzenberg, T. et al (eds) Monitoring regional integration in South Africa. Stellenbsoch: Trade Law Centre for Southern Africa, and Konrad Adenauer Stiftung, Vol 11, 2011.
- Valodia I and Velia M (2006) Trading and training: Large manufacturing firms in the Greater Durban Metropolitan Area. In: Sustainable Manufacturing? The Case of South Africa and Ekurhuleni, Roberts S (ed), Cape Town: Juta & Co, 61-92.
- Yamauchi F., Buthelezi T. and Velia M. (2008) Impacts of prime-age adult mortality on labour supply: Evidence from adolescents and women in South Africa. Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, 70(3), 375-298.
- Valodia, I. and Velia, M. (2006) Macro-micro linkages in Trade: Trade, Effciency and Constraints to Growth and Competitiveness of Manufacturing Firms in Durban, South Africa. Journal of African Economies, vol.15, no. 4, 688-721
- Valodia I. and Velia, M. Key features of the post-1994 pattern of trade of KwaZulu-Natal with the rest of the world: emerging trends and issues. Trade and Industry Monitor, 28.
- Robbins, G. Valodia, I. Velia, M. and Lebani, L. (2006). An Assessment of the Opportunities to Increase the Value-add in KwaZulu-Natal’s Dominant Export Industries. Research Report 68.
- Yamauchi, F. Buthelezi, T. and Velia, M. (2006) Gender, Labor, and Prime-Age Adult Mortality: Evidence from South Africa. International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) Food Consumption and Nutrition Discussion Paper, No. 208.
- Velia, M., Valodia, I. and Amisi, B. (2006) Trade Dynamics in Used Clothing: The Case of Durban, South Africa. Research Report, 71.
- Devey, R. Valodia, I. and Velia, M. (2005) Constraints to Growth and Employment: Evidence from the Greater Durban Metropolitan Area. Research Report, 64.
- Robbins, G., Todes, A. and Velia, M. (2004) Firms at the Crossroads: The Newcastle-Madadeni Clothing Sector and Recommendations on Policy Responses. Research Report No. 61.
- Devey R., Valodia I., Rajaratnam B. and Velia M. (2003) Constraints to growth and employment: Evidence from the Greater Durban Metropolitan Area. Trade and Industry Policy Secretariat (TIPS) and Development Policy Research Unit (DPRU) Conference, Pretoria.
- Moodley S*, Morris M and Velia M (2003) E-commerce for exporting garments from South Africa: “digital dividend” or leap of faith? IDS Working Paper, 182, Sussex University, United Kingdom, 52pp.
- Velia, M. and Valodia, I. (2003) Where are the Opportunities for the Dube TradePort? An Assessment of the Potential Demand from Some Time-sensitive and Time- critical Sectors. Research Report No. 56.
- Velia, M. and Valodia, I. (2003) Key Features of the Post-1994 Pattern of Trade of the KwaZulu-Natal Province with the Rest of the World: Emerging Trends and Issues. Research Report No. 57.
- Moodley, S. and Velia, M. (2002). An Analysis of the Recent Exporting Trajectory of the South African Clothing Value Chain: Upgrading or Downgrading? Research Report No. 54.
- Valodia, I. and Velia, M. (2005) Varieties of manufacturing adjustment: evidence from firms in Durban. Paper presented at TIPS/DPRU Forum.